What’s in the news?
- The Nepal Army contingent arrived in India to participate in 17th edition of Joint Military Exercise SURYA KIRAN.
- It is an annual event and conducted alternatively in the two countries.
- Aim of the exercise is to enhance interoperability in jungle warfare, counter terrorism operations in mountainous terrain and Humanitarian Assistance and Disaster Relief under United Nations Charter on peace keeping operations.
- The exercise will focus on employment of drones and counter drone measures, medical training, aviation aspects and also environment conservation.
- Through these activities, the troops will enhance their operational capabilities, refine their combat skills and strengthen their coordination in challenging situations.
- Exercise SURYA KIRAN signifies the strong bonds of friendship, trust, common cultural linkages that exist between India and Nepal. It sets the stage for a productive and fruitful engagement, showcasing the unwavering commitment of both nations towards a broader defence cooperation.
- The exercise aims to achieve shared security objectives and foster bilateral relations between two friendly neighbours.