Ethanol Blended Petrol Programme
About the Programme
- The ‘National Policy on Biofuels’ notified by the Government in 2018 envisaged an indicative target of 20% ethanol blending in petrol by year 2030. However, considering the encouraging performance, due to various interventions made by the Government since 2014, the target of 20% ethanol blending was advanced from 2030 to 2025-26.
- A “Roadmap for Ethanol Blending in India 2020-25” was also released by the Prime Minister in 2021 which lays out a detailed pathway for achieving 20% ethanol blending. This roadmap also mentioned an intermediate milestone of 10% blending to be achieved by November, 2022.
- The Government of India aims to achieve the following objectives:
- enhance India’s energy security,
- reduce import dependency on fuel,
- save foreign exchange,
- address environmental issues and
- give a boost to the domestic agriculture sector.
Why in News?
- Due to the coordinated efforts of the Public Sector Oil Marketing Companies (OMCs) the target of 10% blending under the programme has been achieved much ahead of the targeted timelines of November, 2022 wherein the Public Sector OMCs have attained an average 10% ethanol blending in petrol across the country.
- With all the initiatives taken by the Government, the EBP Programme is on track to achieve the target of 20% blending by 2025-26.
View all comments