- The eShram portal was launched in 2021 by the Ministry of Labour & Employment to create a National Database of the unorganised/migrant workers and to provide them with a Universal Account Number (UAN).
- The portal has received unprecedented response from the unorganised/migrant workers of the country and over 28.60 crore workers have registered on the eShram portal.
- One of the objectives of the eShram portal is to extend the benefits of social security and welfare schemes to unorganised workers especially migrant workers, and to identify workers who are deprived of the various benefits of the welfare schemes of the Central and/or State Government due to lack of awareness or otherwise.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Labour & Employment has initiated matching of the eShram beneficiaries’ data with the Ration Card (National Food Security Act (NFSA)) data available with the Department of Food and Public Distribution(DFPD).
- This initiative will ensure that Ration Card benefits under NFSA is made available to all eligible workers registered on eShram.
View all comments