- Launched in 2009 by the Ministry of Health & Family Welfare ‘eSanjeevani’ is a web-based comprehensive telemedicine solution. It aims to provide healthcare services to patients in their homes.
- Besides enhancing the quality of medical services, addressing issues about uneven distribution and shortage of infrastructural as well as human resources, eSanjeevani also aims to make healthcare services equitable by bridging the digital divide that exists between the urban vs. rural, rich vs. poor etc.
- eSanjeevani can also be used to provide medical education to interns, people across Various Common Service Centers (CSCs), etc.
- The portal was designed & developed by the Centre for Development of Advanced Computing (C-DAC), a premier R&D organization of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY).
- eSanjeevani platform has enabled two types of telemedicine services viz.
- Doctor-to-Doctor (eSanjeevani) and
- Patient-to-Doctor (eSanjeevani OPD) Tele-consultations.
- It is being implemented under the Ayushman Bharat Health and Wellness Centre (AB-HWC). It aims to implement Doctor-to-Doctor teleconsultation in all the 1.5 lakh Health and Wellness Centres in conjunction with identified Medical College hospitals in a ‘Hub and Spoke’ model.
- States have identified and set up dedicated ‘Hubs’ in Medical Colleges and District hospitals to provide teleconsultation services to ‘Spokes’, i.e SHCs, PHCs and HWCs.
- Owing to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic, the Health Ministry launched the second tele-consultation service enabling patient-to-doctor telemedicine through ‘eSanjeevaniOPD’.
- This service is available as an Android mobile application as well. This has made it convenient for the people to avail of the health services without having to travel.
- This e-health service is offered free of cost and has proved a boon in containing the spread of COVID while simultaneously enabling provisions for non-COVID essential healthcare.
Why in News?
- The National Health Authority (NHA) has announced the successful integration of eSanjeevani with its flagship scheme – Ayushman Bharat Digital Mission (ABDM).
- This integration allows the existing users of eSanjeevani, the telemedicine service of Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW) to easily create their Ayushman Bharat Health Account (ABHA) and use it to link and manage their existing health records like prescriptions, lab reports, etc.
- The users would also be able to share their health records with doctors on eSanjeevani which will help in better clinical decision making and ensuring the continuum of care.
View all comments