Why in the news?
- The EOS-01 along with nine satellites foreign countries were launched by a PSLV rocket. Four each one of the foreign countries are from the United States and Luxembourg, while another is a technology demonstrator from Lithuania.
Earth Observation satellite
- An Earth observation satellite or Earth remote sensing satellite is a satellite used or designed for Earth observation (EO) from orbit, including spy satellites and similar ones intended for non-military uses such as environmental monitoring, meteorology, cartography and others.
- EOS is a new nomenclature developed by ISRO which means Earth Observation Satellite.
- An ISRO satellite, EOS-01 is an earth observation satellite, intended for applications in agriculture, forestry and disaster management support.
- EOS-01, is just another Radar Imaging Satellite (RISAT), and like its RISAT-2B and RISAT-2BR1, uses synthetic aperture radars to produce high-resolution images of the land.
- One big advantage of these radar imaging over optical instruments is that it is unaffected by weather, cloud or fog, or the lack of sunlight. It can produce high-quality images in all conditions and at all times.