About the scheme
- The initiative ‘Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat’ was announced by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on 31st October, 2015 to commemorate the 140th birth anniversary of Sardar Patel to revive a sense of ‘nationhood’.
- The programme aims to actively enhance interaction between people of diverse cultures living in different States and UTs in India, with the objective of promoting greater mutual understanding amongst them.
- As per the programme, each year, every State/UT would be paired with another State/UT in India for reciprocal interaction between the people.
- It is envisaged through this exchange, that the knowledge of the language, culture, traditions and practices of different states will lead to an enhanced understanding and bonding between one another, thereby strengthening the unity and integrity of India.
- The broad objectives of the initiative are as follows:
- To CELEBRATE the Unity in Diversity of our Nation and to maintain and strengthen the fabric of traditionally existing emotional bonds between the people of our Country;
- To PROMOTE the spirit of national integration through a deep and structured engagement between all Indian States and Union Territories through a year-long planned engagement between States;
- To SHOWCASE the rich heritage and culture, customs and traditions of either State for enabling people to understand and appreciate the diversity that is India, thus fostering a sense of common identity
- TO ESTABLISH long-term engagements and,
- TO CREATE an environment which promotes learning between States by sharing best practices and experiences.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Education kick-started the 3rd phase of Yuva Sangam with a delegation of 50 students belonging to diverse parts of Madhya Pradesh travelling to West Bengal for a cultural cum education tour.
- Yuva Sangam under the Ek Bharat Shreshtha Bharat initiative endeavours to promote experiential learning and introduce youth to the rich diversity of our country.
- It also aims to provide an immersive experience into the unique facets of life, development landmarks, architectural and engineering marvels, industrial progress and recent achievements in the host state with the focus being on people to people connect.