About the Portal
- In August 2021, the Ministry of Labour and Employment unveiled the e-shram portal which aims to register 38 crore unorganised workers, such as construction labourers, migrant workforce, street vendors and domestic workers, among others.
- The workers will be issued an e-Shram card containing a 12 digit unique number, which will help in including them in social security schemes.
- The portal would lead to the creation of a national database of unorganised workers.
- Apart from being Aadhaar-linked, it will collect details of the name, occupation, address, educational qualification, skill types and family of the registered workers.
- The portal was developed by the Ministry of Labour & Employment, in technical collaboration with the National Informatics Centre (an attached office under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology).
- The portal is open to workers engaged in the unorganised sector and aged between 16 and 59.
Why in News?
- Union Labour and Employment Minister Bhupender Yadav announced that special camps would be organised to register brick kiln, plantation, forestry and other unorganised sector workers on the Centre’s e-Shram portal.
- The portal, which was launched in August 2021, has over 23 crore registrations so far and is eventually meant to lead to the creation of a national database of unorganised workers to be used to roll-out welfare schemes.