About the Portal
- In August 2021, the Ministry of Labour and Employment unveiled the e-shram portal which aims to register 38 crore unorganised workers, such as construction labourers, migrant workforce, street vendors and domestic workers, among others.
- The workers will be issued an e-Shram card containing a 12 digit unique number, which will help in including them in social security schemes.
- The portal would lead to the creation of a national database of unorganised workers.
- Apart from being Aadhaar-linked, it will collect details of the name, occupation, address, educational qualification, skill types and family of the registered workers.
- The portal was developed by the Ministry of Labour & Employment, in technical collaboration with the National Informatics Centre (an attached office under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology).
- The portal is open to workers engaged in the unorganised sector and aged between 16 and 59.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Labour & Employment has announced that about 7 crores 30 lakhs workers and labourers have registered in India till now under the eSHRAM portal.