About the Portal
- In 2021, the Ministry of Labour and Employment unveiled the e-shram portal which aims to register 38 crore unorganised workers, such as construction labourers, migrant workforce, street vendors and domestic workers, among others.
- The workers will be issued an e-Shram card containing a 12 digit unique number, which will help in including them in social security schemes.
- The portal would lead to the creation of a national database of unorganised workers.
- Apart from being Aadhaar-linked, it will collect details of the name, occupation, address, educational qualification, skill types and family of the registered workers.
- The portal was developed by the Ministry of Labour & Employment, in technical collaboration with the National Informatics Centre (an attached office under the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology).
- The portal is open to workers engaged in the unorganised sector and aged between 16 and 59.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Labour & Employment has launched new features in eShram Portal.
- The new features added in eShram portal will enhance the utility of the portal and facilitate ease of registration for unorganised workers.
- The eShram registered workers can now connect with Employment opportunities, Skilling, Apprenticeship, Pension Scheme, Digital Skilling and States’ schemes through eShram portal.
- A feature of capturing family details of migrant workers has been added to the eShram portal. This feature can help in providing Child education and women centric schemes to the migrant workers who have migrated with family.
- The Union Minister also formally launched Data Sharing Portal (DSP) for sharing of eShram data with the State/ UT Governments.
View all comments