- Launched in 2016, the National Agricultural Market (e-NAM) is a pan-India electronic trading portal which targets to connect almost 7,000 existing mandis run by Agricultural Produce Market Committees (APMC) to create a unified national market for agricultural commodities.
- e-NAM is completely funded by the Central Government and implemented by Small Farmers Agribusiness Consortium (SFAC).
Benefits of the portal
- e-NAM platform promotes better marketing opportunities for the farmers to sell their produce through an online competitive and transparent price discovery system and online payment facility.
- It also promotes prices commensurate with quality of produce.
- The e-NAM portal provides single window services for all APMC related information and services. This includes commodity arrivals, quality & prices, buy & sell offers & e-payment settlement directly into farmers’ account, among other services.
- Farmers can access the information on e-NAM easily through their mobile phones from anywhere. This online trading platform aims at reducing transaction costs, bridging information asymmetry and helps in expanding the market access for farmers.
Why in News?
- The government said that 1260 mandis of 22 States and Union Territories have been integrated with the National Agriculture Market, e-NAM.