- DigiLocker is a flagship initiative of the Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY). Linked to both Aadhaar card and cellphone numbers, DigiLocker eliminates the use of physical documents as part of the government’s Digital India drive, since all data is stored in the cloud.
- One can upload scanned copies of their documents (PDF, JPEG or PNG format) and access it anywhere they want. One can also e-sign these uploaded documents, which works like self-attestation of physical documents.
- On the other hand, organisations like the CBSE, the Registrar Office or the Income Tax Department can also push electronic copies of documents and certificates directly into Citizens’ e-lockers.
- The issued documents in DigiLocker system are deemed to be at par with original physical documents as per the Information Technology (Preservation and Retention of Information by Intermediaries providing Digital Locker facilities) Rules, 2016.
- DigiLocker is available both on websites and mobile apps.
Benefits of DigiLocker
- Benefits to Citizens
- Important Documents Anytime, Anywhere.
- Authentic Documents, Legally at Par with Originals.
- Digital Document Exchange with the consent of the citizen.
- Faster service Delivery of Government Benefits, Employment, Financial Inclusion, Education, Health.
- Benefits to Agencies
- Reduced Administrative Overhead: Aimed at the concept of paperless governance. It reduces the administrative overhead by minimizing the use of paper and curtailing the verification process.
- Digital Transformation: Provides trusted issued documents. Issued Documents available via DigiLocker are fetched in real-time directly from the issuing agency.
- Secure Document Gateway: Acts as a secure document exchange platform like payment gateway between trusted issuer and trusted Requester/Verifier with the consent of the citizen.
- Real Time Verification: Provides a verification module enabling government agencies to verify data directly from issuers after obtaining user consent.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology reviewed the progress made in DigiLocker initiative recently.