- Government of India launched Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY) in 2014 for strengthening the electricity distribution system.
- The work included setting up new substation, separation of agriculture and non-agriculture feeders; augmentation of old substation adding 850000 ckt. of HT< lines; adding transformers and electrification of villages across the country.
- For villages where grid connectivity was neither feasible nor cost effective, the electrification was done through off grid modes.
- The erstwhile Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana (RGGVY) was subsumed under DDUGJY.
Why in News?
- A total of 18374 villages were electrified under DDUGJY.