Why in News:
- The Chief of Defence Staff (CDS) has stressed the need for a national framework to thwart cyber attacks that have been on the rise in the country.
What the CDS opined
- While a National Cybersecurity Strategy is in the offing, the country is also in dire need of a data protection law, with cybercriminals increasingly weaponising data as a tool against national security in the post-pandemic era.
- With data gradually transcending into the open domain with numerous firms permitting employees to work from their homes amid the pandemic, sensitive information has become susceptible to security vulnerabilities.
- The rise of digital payments has also increased complex cyber crimes.
- Cyber crimes have gone up by almost 500% in India during the global pandemic.
- There is a need to consider the emerging threats from new technologies such as drones, ransomware, Internet of Things (IoT) devices and also the role of nation states in such cyber attacks.
- To read about some of the steps taken by the government in the field of cyber security: https://officerspulse.com/cybercrimes/
View all comments