- Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) is a statutory body for the Petroleum and Natural Gas Sector constituted under the PNGRB Act, 2006.
- The objective of PNGRB is to protect the interests of consumers and entities engaged in specified activities relating to petroleum, petroleum products and natural gas and to promote competitive markets.
- The board has also been mandated to regulate the refining, processing, storage, transportation, distribution, marketing and sale of petroleum, petroleum products and natural gas excluding production of crude oil and natural gas so as to ensure uninterrupted and adequate supply of petroleum, petroleum products and natural gas in all parts of the country.
- The appeals against the decisions of the Board go before the Appellate Tribunal established under the Electricity Act, 2003.
Why in News?
- In a significant stride towards achieving 100% coverage of country’s area for the development of City Gas Distribution (CGD) network, the Petroleum and Natural Gas Regulatory Board (PNGRB) hosted its first Road Show for the 12th CGD Bidding Round. The event took place in New Delhi.
- The 12th CGD Bidding Round aims to achieve 100% coverage of the country by expanding the reach of natural gas by offering 8 Geographical Areas covering six North East states and UTs of Jammu & Kashmir and Ladakh.
- Upon completion of the 12th CGD bidding round, almost the entire country (except Islands), will be covered under the City Gas Distribution network. This landmark achievement by PNGRB will provide access to cleaner cooking fuel for households, support industrial and commercial facilities, and fuel transportation, marking a giant leap towards achieving a gas-based economy.