Why in News?
- The Railways had completed the arch closure of the 1315m Chenab bridge, the world’s highest railway bridge.
Why was it constructed?
- The Chenab bridge is part of the Udhampur-Srinagar-Baramulla rail link project (USBRL) and completion of the steel arch is an important construction milestone.
- The bridge will provide the much-needed all-weather connectivity between Kashmir and the rest of the county.
- The bridge will be able to withstand earthquakes with a magnitude of up to eight and high-intensity blasts.
What is an Arch Bridge?
- An arch bridge is a bridge with abutments at each end shaped as a curved arch.
- Arch bridges work by transferring the weight of the bridge and its loads partially into a horizontal thrust restrained by the abutments at either side.
- The curved design of the arch bridge gives the structure an added element of strength.