What’s in the news?
- The Union Government has decided to provide 15,000 progressive women self-help groups (SHG) with drones to be rented out to farmers for agricultural purposes.
- The drone services are envisaged to be used by the farmers for Nano fertilizer and pesticide applications.
- The self help groups would be identified from the total 89 lakh SHGs formed under the Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana. Appropriate clusters where usage of drones is economically feasible will be identified following which the SHGs will be selected for providing drones.
- The women’s groups would get a Central financial assistance at 80% of the cost of drone.
- A well qualified member of the SHG, aged 18 and above, will be elected for a 15-day training, comprising five-day mandatory drone pilot training and additional 10-day training for agriculture purpose of nutrient and pesticide application, while another member of the group will be selected for training as technician or assistant.
- The scheme will help in infusing advance technology in agriculture for improved efficiency, enhance crop yield and reduced cost of operation for the benefit of farmers.
- The approved initiatives under the scheme is expected to provide sustainable business and livelihood support to 15,000 SHGs and help them earn an additional income of at least ₹1 lakh per annum.