About the species
- Brookesia nana is a chameleon found in Madagascar.
- The group of German and Madagascar scientists found this chameleon in 2012. The adult male measures around 21.6 mm when the tail is included and the female is slightly longer at 28.9 mm.
- Till now only 2 adults of this species have been found. They are camouflaged and move slowly.
Why in the news?
- There is debate going on now to declare Brookesia nana as the smallest reptile. But confirming Brookesia nana as the smallest reptile species will require finding more of them, which might take several years.
- Presently Brookesia micra has the title of smallest reptile.
- The Brookesia nana is under threat due to habitat degradation and deforestation. If proper measures are not adopted in time, the species may go extinct.