Why in News:
- The Ministry of Defence approved the setting up of wayside amenities with Border Roads Organisation (BRO), to be branded as ‘BRO Cafes’, at 75 locations in 12 States and Union Territories on different sections of roads.
What are they?
- These are intended to provide basic amenities and comfort to the tourists and lead to boosting of economic activities in border areas, besides generating employment for the local people.
- The terms of the agreement will be for 15 years, which may be further extended for up to five years
- The scheme provides for wayside amenities in public-private partnership mode with agencies, on license basis, which will design, build and operate the facility as per guidelines of BRO.
- Proposed amenities include parking for two and four wheelers, food plaza, restaurant, separate restrooms for men, women and differently abled and first aid facilities, among others.
- Selection of licensees will be done through a competitive process
- BRO has its reach in the remotest border areas and besides addressing strategic needs, it has been instrumental in socio-economic upliftment of the Northern and Eastern borders which has resulted in increased tourist influx in these scenic locations, hitherto inaccessible.
- In order to provide conducive and comfortable transit of tourists on these roads, located at harsh climatic and geographical conditions, the need to establish multi-utility wayside amenities along the major tourist circuits in these regions was recognised
- The Border Roads Organisation develops and maintains road networks in India’s border areas and friendly neighbouring countries.
- It functions under the Ministry of Defence.
- It is engaged in road construction to provide connectivity to difficult and inaccessible regions in the border areas of the country.
- It is staffed by officers and troops drawn from the Indian Army’s Corps of Engineers, Electrical and Mechanical Engineers, Army Service Corps, Military Police and army personnel on extra regimental employment.
Role of the BRO
- Develop & Maintain the Operational Road Infrastructure of General Staff in the Border Areas.
- Contribute to the Socio-Economic Development of the Border States.
During War time
- To Develop & Maintain Roads to Keep Line of Control through in Original Sectors and Re-Deployed Sectors.
- To Execute Additional Tasks as laid down by the Govt Contributing to the War Effort.