What’s in the news?
- The Centre has approved the continuation of the central sector umbrella scheme of Border Infrastructure and Management till 2025-26 at a cost of Rs 13,020 crore.
- This decision will strengthen the border infrastructure for improving border management, policing and guarding the borders.
- It will help in the creation of infrastructure such as construction of border fence, border flood lights, technological solutions, border roads and Border Outposts/Company Operating Bases to secure the Indo-Pakistan, Indo-Bangladesh, Indo-China, Indo-Nepal, Indo-Bhutan and Indo-Myanmar borders.
- As part of the strategy to secure the borders as also to create infrastructure in the border areas of the country, the government has been taking many initiatives that include expeditious construction of fencing, floodlighting and roads along its borders with Bangladesh, Pakistan and Myanmar, and construction of strategic roads along its borders with China, Nepal and Bhutan.
- The government has also deployed hi-tech electronic surveillance equipment on international borders and constructed additional BOPs.