Beti Bachao Beti Padhao
About the Scheme
- Beti Bachao Beti Padhao (BBBP) scheme is a tri-ministerial initiative of Ministries of Women and Child Development, Health & Family Welfare and Human Resource which focuses on awareness and advocacy campaign for changing mind-sets, multi-sectoral action, enabling girls’ education and effective enforcement of Pre-Conception & Pre Natal Diagnostic Techniques (PC & PNDT) Act.
- It was launched by the Prime Minister on 22nd January, 2015 at Panipat, Haryana.
- BBBP addresses the declining Child Sex Ratio (CSR) and related issues of women empowerment over a life-cycle continuum.
- The objectives of the Scheme are as under:
- To prevent gender biased sex selective elimination
- To ensure survival and protection of the girl child
- To ensure education and participation of the girl child
- The 100 districts have been identified on the basis of low Child Sex Ratio as per Census 2011 covering all States/UTs as a pilot with at least one district in each state.
- The scheme has further been expanded to 61 additional districts selected from 11 States/UT having CSR below 918.
Pan India Expansion of BBBP
- The Pan India Expansion of Beti Bachao Beti Padhao covering all 640 districts (as per census 2011) of the country was launched on 8th March 2018.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of Women and Child Development is conducting a nationwide review of the BBBP programme.
View all comments