Atal Innovation Mission
- The Atal Innovation Mission (AIM) is a flagship initiative set up by the NITI Aayog to promote innovation and entrepreneurship across the length and breadth of the country.
- AIM’s objective is to develop new programmes and policies for fostering innovation in different sectors of the economy, provide platform and collaboration opportunities for different stakeholders, create awareness and create an umbrella structure to oversee the innovation ecosystem of the country.
Initiatives under Atal Innovation Mission
Atal Tinkering Labs – at School Level
- AIM has launched the establishment of thousands of Atal Tinkering Labs enabling students from grade 6 to grade 12 to have access to and tinker with innovative tools and technologies like 3D printers, robotics, miniaturised electronics do-it-yourself kits, thus stimulating a problem solving innovative mindset to solve problems in the community they are in.
- Some activities related to ATL Operational Excellence, Proactive Promotion of Innovation & Thought Leadership, Collaborations & Partnerships and New Initiatives by AIM:
- ATL Gandhian Challenge – launched in all schools along with UNICEF.
- India Stamp Creativity challenge- launched with UNICEF and India Post.
- PM India Innovative Learning DHRUV Program – AIM invited as key partner by MHRD.
Atal Incubators at Universities, Institutions, Industry Level
- To promote creation of a supporting ecosystem for start-ups and entrepreneurs, AIM has been establishing world-class incubators called Atal Incubation Centres (AICs) in universities. Institutions, corporates, etc. that would foster innovative start-ups and become scalable and sustainable enterprises.
Atal Community Innovation Centres – Serving Unserved and Under-Served Regions of India
- To promote the benefits of technology led innovation to the unserved/ underserved regions of India including Tier 2, Tier 3 cities, aspirational districts, tribal, hilly and coastal areas, AIM is setting up Atal Community Innovation Centres (ACICs) with a unique partnership driven model wherein AIM would grant up to Rs. 2.5 crore to an ACIC subject to a partner proving equal or greater matching funding.
Atal New India Challenges – Product and Service Innovations with National Impact
- To create product and service innovations having national socio-economic impact, AIM has launched over 24 Atal New India Challenges in partnership with five different ministries and departments of the central government.
Applied Research and Innovation for Small Enterprises (ARISE)
- To promote innovation in a phased manner in the MSME/Start-up sector AIM will be launching ARISE along with partner Ministries so that great research ideas are converted to viable innovative prototypes followed by product development and commercial deployment.
Mentorship and Partnerships – with Public, Private sector, NGOs, Academia, Institutions
- To enable all the initiatives to succeed, AIM has launched the “Mentor India – The Mentors of Change” programme, in collaboration with the public sector, corporates and institutions, to support all the initiatives of the mission.
Why in News?
- Atal Innovation Mission (AIM), NITI Aayog, and the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare (MoA&FW) have come together to promote innovation in the agricultural sector among school students across India.
- The two government bodies have agreed to connect Atal Tinkering Labs (ATLs) with Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVKs) and Agricultural Technology Management Agency (ATMAs) under the initiative.
- KVKs function as a “Single Window Agricultural Knowledge Resource and Capacity Development Centre,” and this collaboration will provide numerous stakeholders with necessary information, training, and inputs. KVKs, in partnership with ATMA, will collaborate with nearby ATLs to support agricultural-related innovation.
- This collaboration between AIM and MoA&FW is a significant milestone towards the growth and development of the agricultural sector in India and Atal Innovation Mission is committed to continue its efforts towards fostering innovation and creativity among the youth of the country.