What’s in the news?
- Prime Minister is set to inaugurate the Atal Bihari Vajpayee Training Centre for Disability Sports.
- The Atal Bihari Training Centre for Disability Sports is a state-of-the-art facility dedicated to training and nurturing athletes with disabilities. It houses world-class infrastructure and coaching staff to provide the best possible training environment for differently-abled athletes.
- It is an Autonomous body established by the Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (Divyangjan), Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt. of India.
The Centre functions with the following Aims and Objectives:
- To establish a state-of-the-art international level Centre of Excellence for sports for para sportspersons (PwDs) with fully accessibility as per norms.
- To create specialized sports infrastructure so that the para sports persons can undergo rigorous and specialized training in the Centre.
- To provide training facilities for Divyang sportspersons at par with the latest such facilities available elsewhere in the world.
- To ensure participation of Divyangjan in sports activities in greater numbers and enable them to effectively compete in international events.
- To help build confidence and develop a sense of belonging in Divyangjan to facilitate their integration in Society.