- The Association of Southeast Asian Nations, or ASEAN, is a regional & intergovernmental organisation of 10 countries of southeast Asia.
- ASEAN was established in 1967 in Bangkok, Thailand, with the signing of the ASEAN Declaration (Bangkok Declaration).
- Its members are Thailand, Malaysia, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, Singapore, Myanmar, Philippines, Brunei and Vietnam.
- The organisation aims to accelerate the economic growth, social progress and cultural development in the region through joint endeavours in the spirit of equality and partnership. They work towards the progress of the southeast Asia region.
Why in News?
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal has called upon ASEAN bloc to do away with the Non-Tariff Barriers (NTBs). He also called for curbing the misuse of Free Trade Agreements by third parties often outside the ASEAN Region.