Why in News:
- Surveillance and preventive measures intensified in Kerala’s Thrissur as Anthrax has been confirmed in wild boars, which were found dead in the area.
- Anthrax is an infectious disease caused by bacteria known as Bacillus Anthracis, which is found in soil naturally.
- It commonly affects domestic and wild animals when they contact it.
- People can get sick if they come in close contact with the infected animals or contaminated animal products.
- Anthrax can cause severe illness in both humans and animals.
- People get infected with anthrax when spores get into the body. When anthrax spores get inside the body, they can be “activated.” The bacteria can then multiply, spread out in the body, produce toxins, and cause severe illness.
- This can happen when people breathe in spores, eat food or drink water contaminated with spores, or get spores in a cut or scrape in the skin.
- There is no evidence that Anthrax is contagious, which means a person cannot catch it from another person like the cold or flu.
- Symptoms include black sore, headaches, fever, breathing difficulties, vomiting of blood, diarrhea.
- All types of anthrax infection can be treated with antibiotics