What’s in the news?
- Anganwadi Services is one of the flagship programmes of the Government of India providing early childhood care and development of the beneficiaries i.e children in the age group of 0-6 years, pregnant women and lactating mothers through a large network of Anganwadi workers (AWW) and Helpers (AWH).
- The following benefits are being provided to the Anganwadi Workers and Helpers:
- The AWWs and AWHs are paid a fixed honorarium per month as decided by the Government from time to time. The Government has enhanced the honorarium to ₹ 4,500/- per month;
- In addition to the honorarium paid by the Government of India, most of the States/UTs are also giving monetary incentives to these workers out of their own resources.
- In order to motivate AWWs/and give recognition to good voluntary work, a Scheme of Award for AWWs has been introduced, both at the National and State level.
- State Governments/UT Administrations have been requested to encourage eligible AWWs/AWHs to get themselves enrolled under the Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Mandhan (PM-SYM) Pension Scheme on voluntary basis in order to get assured monthly pension on attaining the age of 60 years.