What’s in the news?
- Presenting the Union Budget 2023-24, Union Minister for Finance Nirmala Sitharaman announced that the government will launch Atmanirbhar Clean Plant Program to boost availability of disease-free, quality planting material for high value horticultural crops.
- The Program will be launched with an outlay of Rs. 2,200 crore.
Agriculture Accelerator Fund
- An Agriculture Accelerator Fund will be set-up to encourage agri-startups by young entrepreneurs in rural areas.
- The Fund will aim at bringing innovative and affordable solutions for challenges faced by farmers, and will also bring in modern technologies to transform agricultural practices, increase productivity and profitability.
- A new sub-scheme of PM Matsya Sampada Yojana will also be launched with a targeted investment of Rs. 6,000 crore to further enable activities of fishermen, fish vendors, and micro & small enterprises, improve value chain efficiencies, and expand the market.
- To enhance the productivity of extra-long staple cotton, a cluster-based and value chain approach will be adopted through Public Private Partnerships (PPP).
- This will mean collaboration between farmers, state and industry for input supplies, extension services, and market linkages, she elucidated.