Vande Bharat Train
What is it?
- The Vande Bharat train(Train 18) is an indigenously designed and manufactured semi high speed, self-propelled train
- The Vande Bharat coaches incorporate passenger amenities including on-board WiFi entertainment, GPS-based passenger information system, CCTVs, automatic doors in all coaches, rotating chairs.
- It has aircraft-like bio-vacuum toilets for efficient flushing. Touch-free sensor-based fittings have been used for optimal consumption of water.
- It also has provision of Divyang-friendly facilities (differently-abled friendly facilities).
- It can achieve a maximum speed of 160 kmph due to faster acceleration and deceleration.
- It also has an intelligent braking system with power regeneration for better energy efficiency thereby making it cost, energy and environment efficient.
- An addition to the new Vande Bharat is that of a made-in-India ‘photo-catalytic ultraviolet air purification system’ that will filter and clean the air, deactivating 99.9% of viruses and bacteria.
- The trains will be pre-fitted with the Kavach (the indigenously-developed train collision avoidance system)
- Seats in all the travelling classes will have a side recliner facility.
High Speed Rail
- High-speed rail (HSR) is a type of rail transport that runs significantly faster than traditional rail traffic.
- While there is no single standard that applies worldwide, new lines in excess of 250 kilometres per hour (160 mph) and existing lines in excess of 200 kilometres per hour (120 mph) are widely considered to be high-speed
- Scientifically, in the bio-vacuum toilet, human waste is discharged into a biodegradable tank system and converted into organic matter through composting, which reduces the bad odour as well as the consumption of water.
Why in News:
- Indian Railways has successfully completed trials of the second generation Vande Bharat train that will come with enhanced passenger comfort and safety features.
View all comments