- The World Tourism Organization (UNWTO) is the United Nations agency responsible for the promotion of responsible, sustainable and universally accessible tourism.
- Formed in 1975, UNWTO’s headquarter is in Madrid, Spain.
- UNWTO’s membership includes 159 Member States (including India), 6 Associate Members and over 500 Affiliate Members representing the private sector, educational institutions, tourism associations and local tourism authorities.
Why in News?
- The Pochampally Village in Telangana has been selected as one of the best Tourism Villages by the United Nations World Tourism Organisation.
- Pochampally’s unique weaving styles and patterns received special focus through Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s mantra of Vocal for Local as a part of Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
- The Best Tourism Villages by UNWTO Pilot initiative aims to award those villages which are outstanding examples of rural destinations and showcase good practices in line with its specified evaluation areas.