- The Tribal Cooperative Marketing Development Federation of India (TRIFED) came into existence in 1987. It is a national-level apex organization functioning under the administrative control of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs.
- TRIFED has its Head Office located in New Delhi and has a network of 13 Regional Offices located at various places in the country.
- The ultimate objective of TRIFED is socio-economic development of tribal people in the country by way of marketing development of the tribal products such as metal craft, tribal textiles, pottery, tribal paintings and pottery on which the tribals depend heavily for a major portion of their income.
- TRIFED acts as a facilitator and service provider for tribes to sell their product.
- The approach by TRIFED aims to empower tribal people with knowledge, tools and pool of information so that they can undertake their operations in a more systematic and scientific manner.
- It also involves capacity building of the tribal people through sensitization, formation of Self Help Groups (SHGs) and imparting training to them for undertaking a particular activity.
Main activities to TRIFED include:
- Retail Marketing Development
- Minor Forest Produce Marketing Development
- Skill up-gradation & Capacity Building of ST Artisans and MFP Gatherers
- R&D Development/Intellectual Proprietary Rights (IPR) Activity
Achievements of TRIFED:
- Adapting “Go Vocal for Local”: TRIFED has significantly advanced in digitising various information related to the forest dwellers associated with the VanDhan Yojana, village haats and their warehouses.
- Making tribals Atma Nirbhar: This digitisation effort wherein all tribal clusters are identified and mapped using GIS technology will help bring benefits to these people under the “Atmanirbhar Bharat Abhiyan”.
- Exclusive e-marketplace for tribal producers:
- To facilitate the purchase of MFPs, handicrafts and handlooms online.
- The Tribes India E-Mart platform (expected to be launched soon) will be an omni-channel facility for the tribals to sell their goods to a large national and international audience in an e-marketplace through their own e-shop.
- The Mechanism for Marketing of Minor Forest Produce (MFP) through Minimum Support Price (MSP) & Development of Value Chain for MFP Scheme: The scheme has been implemented in 21 states of India and has been successful in injecting Rs 3000 crores directly in the tribal economy since April 2020.
- The Van Dhan Vikas Kendras/ tribal start-ups: Has become a valuable source of employment generation for tribal gatherers and forest dwellers and the home-bound tribal artisans.
- Convergences with various Ministries and Departments: With the aim of improving sustainable livelihoods and income opportunities for these tribals.
- TRIFED is the nodal agency for implementing the MSP for Minor Forest Produce (MSP) Scheme and the Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana (PMVDY)The scheme was designed as a social safety net for improvement of livelihood of MFP gatherers by providing them a fair price for the MFPs they collect.
Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana
Why in News?
TRIFED reiterated its commitment towards the transformation of tribal lives on the occasion of its thirty-third foundation day.