About the Scheme
- The Swatantrata Sainik Samman Pension Scheme was launched in 1972 during the silver jubilee year of independence.
- It grants pension to freedom fighters and their eligible dependents if the freedom fighter had already expired.
- The monthly pension is considered a token of respect for the contribution of freedom fighters in the national freedom struggle.
- Various State wise pension schemes also exist for freedom fighter pensions.
Why in News?
- Government of India has approved the continuation of the Swatantrata Sainik Samman Yojana for Financial Years 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- The decision shows the commitment of the Government to remember sacrifices of Freedom Fighters and take inspiration from them.
- Presently, there are 23 thousand 566 beneficiaries across the country covered under this scheme.