What is it?
- Systematic Voters’ Education and Electoral Participation program, better known as SVEEP, is the flagship program of the Election Commission of India for voter education, spreading voter awareness and promoting voter literacy in India.
- Since 2009, the Election Commission through its SVEEP program has been working towards preparing India’s electors and equipping them with basic knowledge related to the electoral process.
- SVEEP’s primary goal is to build a truly participative democracy in India by encouraging all eligible citizens to vote and make an informed decision during the elections.
- The programme is based on multiple general as well as targeted interventions which are designed according to the socio-economic, cultural and demographic profile of the state as well as the history of electoral participation in previous rounds of elections and learning thereof.
Why in News?
- The Election Commission is set to conduct a nationwide SVEEP Consultation Workshop to review State SVEEP Plans for the forthcoming elections.