- Stand up India Scheme was launched in 2016 to promote entrepreneurship at grassroot level focusing on economic empowerment and job creation.
- This scheme has been extended up to the year 2025.
- The purpose of Stand-Up India is to:
- promote entrepreneurship amongst women, SC & ST category.
- provide loans for setting up greenfield enterprises in manufacturing, services or the trading sector & activities allied to agriculture by both ready and trainee borrowers
- facilitate bank loans between Rs.10 lakh to Rs.1 crore to at least one Scheduled Caste/ Scheduled Tribe borrower and at least one woman borrower per bank branch of Scheduled Commercial Banks;
- The Stand-Up India scheme is based on recognition of the challenges faced by SC, ST and women entrepreneurs in setting up enterprises, obtaining loans and other support needed from time to time for succeeding in business.
- The scheme therefore endeavors to create an ecosystem which facilitates and continues to provide a supportive environment for doing business.
- The scheme seeks to give access to loans from bank branches to borrowers to help them set up their own enterprise.
Who all are eligible for a loan?
- SC/ST and/or women entrepreneurs, above 18 years of age.
- Loans under the scheme are available for only green field projects. Green field signifies, in this context, the first time venture of the beneficiary in the manufacturing, services or the trading sector & activities allied to agriculture.
- In case of non-individual enterprises, 51% of the shareholding and controlling stake should be held by either SC/ST and/or Women Entrepreneur.
- Borrowers should not be in default to any bank/financial institution.
Why in News?
- Stand Up India completes 7 years of implementation.