What’s in the news?
- The National Commission for Indian System of Medicine (NCISM) and the Central Council for Research in Ayurvedic Sciences (CCRAS), the two prominent institutions under the Ministry of Ayush have launched ‘SMART’ (Scope for Mainstreaming Ayurveda Research in Teaching Professionals) program.
- It is aimed to boost scientific research in priority healthcare research areas through Ayurveda colleges and hospitals.
- The proposed initiative is conceptualised with an objective to identify, support and promote innovative research ideas in healthcare research areas including Osteoarthritis, Iron Deficiency Anaemia, Chronic Bronchitis, Dyslipidemia, Rheumatoid Arthritis, Obesity, Diabetes Mellitus, Psoriasis, Generalised Anxiety Disorder, Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease (NAFLD).
- The large network of Ayurveda colleges and hospitals across the country is an asset for the country in terms of its healthcare needs.
- This network has not only been offering healthcare services in hardest times, but it also has contributed significantly in terms of healthcare research in the country.
- The ‘SMART’ program will motivate teachers for taking up projects in designated areas of healthcare research and create a large database.