What is Sharia?
- Sharia/Shariat is a religious law forming part of the Islamic tradition.
- It is derived from the religious precepts of Islam, particularly the Quran and the hadith.
- The “Muslim Personal Law” is based upon the Shariat when it comes to personal issues(marriage, divorce, inheritance, custody of children,etc),
Shariat And India
- Muslims in India are governed by the Muslim Personal Law which came into force in 1937.
- The Act lays out that in matters of personal dispute the State shall not interfere.
- There have been previous instances when the issue of protection of women’s rights as part of the broader fundamental rights came into conflict with religious rights. Example: Shah Bano case, Triple talaq act.
Why in News?
- The Taliban has announced that there will be Sharia law in Afghanistan.