Semicon India Programme
About the Programme
- In order to widen and deepen electronic manufacturing and ensure development of a robust and sustainable Semiconductor and Display ecosystem in the country, the Union Cabinet had approved the Semicon India Programme in December last year.
- The programme has been approved with an outlay of 76 thousand crore rupees.
- India Semiconductor Mission (ISM) has been set up as a dedicated institution for the Semicon India Programme.
- ISM will coordinate with the applicant companies who have also reached out to states to provide access to world class infrastructure.
- It will work closely with the state governments to establish high-tech clusters with 300 to 500 acres of developed land, 100 Kilo Volt Ampere Power, 50 Million Litre Per Day Water, availability of natural gases and common facility centres for testing and certification.
- Semicon India Programme is building on the successes of Digital India Programme and Make in India Programme in the electronics manufacturing sector.
Why in News?
- The Semicon India Programme has elicited good response form the industry. India Semiconductor Mission has received 5 applications for Semiconductor and Display Fabs. It entails a total investment to the tune of over one lakh 53 thousand crore rupees.
View all comments