About the initiative
- SATAT (Sustainable Alternative Towards Affordable Transportation) initiative was launched by the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India in 2018 for boosting production and availability of CBG as an alternative and affordable clean fuel for the transportation sector.
- The scheme envisages setting up of 5000 CBG plants by FY 2023-24.
- SATAT establishes an ecosystem for the production of Compressed BioGas from various waste and biomass sources in the country leading to multiple benefits viz. reduction of natural gas import, reduction of GHG emission, reduction in burning of agriculture residues, remunerative income to farmers, employment generation, effective waste management etc.
- The initiative is in line with the goals of Atma Nirbhar Bharat, Swachh Bharat Mission and boosting the MSME sector.
Why in the news?
- Union Minister of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Steel Shri Dharmendra Pradhan recently presided over a virtual ceremony in which a number of initiatives were launched to provide a major fillip to the SATAT initiative, and help India leap ahead towards a greener tomorrow.
View all comments