- It is awarded to a person who has made a significant contribution to Carnatic music.
- It is considered the highest honour in the world of Carnatic music.
- The Sangita Kalanidhi award is announced by the Madras Music Academy(MMA).
- In Madras(Chennai) in 1927, a music conference was organised in conjunction with the All India Congress Session, and during the discussions, the concept of a Music Academy arose and MMA was launched the next year. Thus, it is an offshoot of the INC Madras session of 1927.
Why in News:
- Madras Music Academy announced presenting the Sangita Kalanidhi and other awards to various artistes from the period 2020 to 2022.