About the Scheme
- Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) was launched in 2014 with the aim to translate the comprehensive vision of Mahatma Gandhi about an ideal Indian village into reality, keeping in view the present context.
- Under SAGY, each Member of Parliament adopts a Gram Panchayat and guides its holistic progress giving importance for social development at par with infrastructure.
- The ‘Adarsh Grams’ are to become schools of local development and governance, inspiring other Gram Panchayats.
- By involving villagers and leveraging scientific tools, a village development plan is prepared under the leadership of a Member of Parliament. The distinct feature of this Yojana is that it is:
- Demand Driven
- Inspired by Society
- Based on People’s Participation
Objective of SAGY
- To trigger processes which lead to a holistic development of the identified Gram Panchayats
- To substantially improve the standard of living and quality of life of all section of the population through –
- Improved basic amenities
- Higher productivity
- Enhanced human development
- Better livelihood opportunity
- Reduced disparities
- Access to right and entitlements
- Wider social mobilization
- Enriched social capital
- To generate models of local level development and effective local government which can motivate and inspire neighboring Gram Panchayats to learn and adapt
- To nurture the identified Adarsh Grams as schools of local development to train other gram panchayat
Different approach to achieve the objectives of SAGY
- Leveraging the leadership, capacity, commitment and the energy of the Member of Parliament to develop model Gram Panchayat.
- Engaging with and mobilizing the community for participatory local level development.
- Converging different government programs and private and voluntary initiative to achieve comprehensive development in tune with people’s aspiration and local potential.
- Building partner with a voluntary organization, co-operative and academic and research institutions.
- Focusing on outcomes and sustainability.
Activities in an Adarsh Gram
- Activities in an Adarsh Gram would include:
- Personal Development
- Social Development
- Human Development
- Economic Development
- Environmental Development
- Social Security
- Basic amenities & services
- Good Governance
Why in News?
- The Parliament has identified 1949 Gram Panchayats under Saansad Adarsh Gram Yojana (SAGY) during the last five years.