Why in News?
- An unmanned Russian cargo ship docked at the International Space Station.
Cargo Ship Mission
- The Progress MS-16 cargo ship, which blasted off from the Russia-leased Baikonur launch facility in Kazakhstan, has delivered water, propellant and other supplies to the orbiting outpost.
About International Space Station
- A space station, also known as an orbital station or an orbital space station, is a spacecraft capable of supporting a human crew in orbit for an extended period of time, and is therefore a type of space habitat.
- As of now, the International Space Station (ISS) is the only fully functioning space station and largest human-made body in low Earth orbit.
- The ISS programme is a joint project between five participating space agencies: NASA (United States), Roscosmos (Russia), JAXA (Japan), ESA (Europe), and CSA (Canada) but its ownership and use has been established by intergovernmental treaties and agreements.
- It serves as a microgravity and space environment research laboratory in which crew members conduct experiments in biology, human biology, physics, astronomy, meteorology, and other fields.
India’s Plan for Space Station
- India is planning to launch its own space station by 2030 and the project will be an extension of the Gaganyaan mission.
- The space station is going to be very small that will be used for carrying out microgravity experiments and not for space tourism