Responsible AI for Social Empowerment
- Governments and organizations around the world are investing in and focusing heavily on AI.
- The pandemic has led the world to focus on new solutions for several problems through AI.
Potential of AI Technology
- In today’s era, artificial intelligence has a huge potential and it can add up to 15 trillion dollars to the world economy and around 1 trillion dollar to India.
- It has a wide variety of applications across various sectors like healthcare, education, agriculture etc.
- In June 2018, Niti Aayog released the paper on National strategy for AI where it recommended the AI for social empowerment and AI application in start ups and now there are around 150 AI based startups in the country which provides a wide range of solutions.
- India needs to take a leadership position in AI and act as a garage where other countries can look for solutions.
Areas for AI application
- Healthcare– AI can be used to create a diagnosis system in rural areas where doctors availability is less, for developing personalised medicines, creating bio sensors etc.
- It can be used for detecting TB, and monitoring of machines.
- Agriculture– AI can provide precise agriculture solutions like advising farmers on aspects of sowing, providing weather data, yield assessment etc.
- It can be used for smart cities mobility like collection of challans.
- For identifying manufacturing defects, creating learning tools, flood forecasting etc.
- The main drawback with AI technology is the communication issue with humans.
- AI technology can be biased because of its communication issues.
- Accountability is the major limitation for application of AI technology.
- The lack of R&D and training in terms of AI technology is very limited.
What needs to be done ahead?
- The reskilling of people needs to be done through creation of AI training centres or centres of excellence.
- The system can be reoriented by states involvement and by engaging with the other countries as well.
- The upcoming generation should be trained for being digital ready.
- Eg: teaching to interact with robots.
- The futuristic AI policies need to be formulated.
- The possibilities are limitless which can be harnessed by proper laws and policies in place via increasing training and retaining talent.
View all comments