- Remdesivir is an investigational broad-spectrum antiviral drug that has demonstrated activity against RNA viruses in several families, including
- Coronaviridae(such as SARS-CoV, MERS-CoV, and strains of bat coronaviruses capable of infecting human respiratory epithelial cells)
- Paramyxoviridae (such as Nipah virus, respiratory syncytial virus, and Hendra virus)
- Filoviridae (such as Ebola virus).
Mechanism of action:
- Remdesivir is a nucleoside analog that is expected to inhibit the action of RNA polymerase.
- By incorporating into RNA, additional nucleotides cannot be added, terminating RNA transcription.
|About RNA Polymerase:
Why in the news?
Union Health Ministry has cleared Remdesivir for treatment of COVID-19 patients under emergency use.
View all comments