Rashtriya Gokul Mission
- The Rashtriya Gokul Mission (RGM) is being implemented for development and conservation of indigenous bovine breeds since 2014.
- The scheme is important in enhancing milk production and productivity of bovines to meet growing demand of milk and making dairying more remunerative to the rural farmers of the country.
- The RGM will result in enhanced productivity and benefit of the programme, percolating to all cattle and buffaloes of India especially with small and marginal farmers.
- This programme will also benefit women in particular since over 70% of the work involved in livestock farming is undertaken by women.
- To enhance productivity of bovines and increasing milk production in a sustainable manner using advance technologies.
- To propagate use of high genetic merit bulls for breeding purposes.
- To enhance Artificial insemination coverage through strengthening breeding network and delivery of Artificial insemination services at farmers doorstep.
- To promote indigenous cattle & buffalo rearing and conservation in a scientific and holistic manner.
Why in News?
- Union Minister of State for Fisheries, Animal Husbandry and Dairying Sanjeev Balyan highlighted various schemes under Rashtriya Gokul Mission.
View all comments