What is it?
- It’s the highest honour bestowed on a military unit in recognition of its exceptional service to nation.
Why in News:
- The President of India will award the President’s Colour to Indian Naval Aviation.
What is Naval Aviation?
- Naval Aviation came into being with acquisition of the first Sealand aircraft in 1951 and the commissioning of INS Garuda, the first Naval Air Station.
- Over the past decades, it had transformed into a modern, technologically advanced and highly potent force, with more than 250 aircraft comprising carrier-borne fighters, maritime reconnaissance aircraft, helicopters and remotely piloted aircraft (RPA)
- Naval Aviation has played a major role in operations such as
- Operation Cactus– India launched an Operation Cactus to help the Maldives as the country faced a mercenary invasion
- Operation Jupiter– Indian Peace Keeping Operations in Sri Lanka
- Operation Vijay– Operation by the Military of India that led to the capture of Goa, Daman and Diu and Anjediva Islands
- Operation Parakram- launched in the wake of the December 13, 2001 terrorist attack on Parliament
View all comments