- Pravasi Bharatiya Divas (PBD) Convention is the flagship event of the Ministry of External Affairs and provides an important platform to engage and connect with the overseas Indians.
- It is celebrated on January 9 once in every two years to strengthen the engagement of the overseas Indian community with the Government of India and reconnect them with their roots.
- The day commemorates the return of Mahatma Gandhi from South Africa to Mumbai on 9 January 1915.
- The first Pravasi Bharatiya Divas was organized in 2003.
Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award
- The Pravasi Bharatiya Samman Award (PBSA) is the highest honour conferred on overseas Indians.
- PBSA is conferred by the President of India as a part of the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas Conventions.
Why in News?
- The Ministry of External Affairs has announced that the 17th Pravasi Bhartiya Divas 2023 will be held at Indore in January next year.