- Pradhan Mantri Van Dhan Yojana (PMVDY) is a retail marketing led value addition plan for Minor Forest Produce (MFP), meant for forest-based tribes to optimize the tribal income locally. It seeks to improve tribal incomes through value addition of tribal products.
- Under the program, MFP-based tribal groups / enterprises of around 300 members are formed for the collection, value addition, packaging & marketing of Minor Forest Produces.
- It is an initiative of the Ministry of Tribal Affairs and TRIFED.
About Minor Forest Produce:
- These tribal enterprises will be in the form of Van Dhan Self Help Groups (SHGs) which will be a group of 15-20 members and such 15 SHG groups will further be federated into a larger group of Van Dhan Vikas Kendras (VDVKS) of around 300 members.
- TRIFED will support the VDVKs through providing them with model business plans, processing plans & tentative list of equipment for carrying out the value addition work of MFPs.
Main activities to TRIFED include:
Why in News?
- Van Dhan Yojna launched with an intention to improve the tribal income through value addition of tribal products have benefitted 1,205 tribal enterprises employing 3.6 lakh people through 18,000 self-help groups that have been set up under the Van Dhan scheme.