About Pradhan Mantri Shram Yogi Maan-dhan
- It is a Central Sector pension scheme to ensure old age protection for Unorganised Workers.
- It was launched in March 2019.
- It is administered by the Ministry of Labour and Employment and implemented through Life Insurance Corporation of India and Common Service Centres (CSCs).
- LIC will be the Pension Fund Manager and responsible for Pension pay out.
- The Unorganised workers whose monthly income is Rs 15,000/ per month or less and belong to the entry age group of 18-40 years are eligible for the scheme.
- They should not be covered under New Pension Scheme (NPS), Employees’ State Insurance Corporation (ESIC) scheme or Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO).
- He/she should not be an income tax payer.
Salient Feature of PM-SYM:
- Matching contribution by the Central Government: PM-SYM is a voluntary and contributory pension scheme on a 50:50 basis where prescribed age-specific contribution shall be made by the beneficiary and the matching contribution by the Central Government.
- Minimum Assured Pension: Each subscriber under the PM-SYM, shall receive a minimum assured pension of Rs 3000/- per month after attaining the age of 60 years.
- Family Pension: During the receipt of pension, if the subscriber dies, the spouse of the beneficiary shall be entitled to receive 50% of the pension received by the beneficiary as family pension. Family pension is applicable only to the spouse.
Why in the news?
This information was given by Minister of State (I/C) for Labour & Employment Shri Santosh Kumar Gangwar in Lok Sabha recently.