About the scheme
- Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana –“Saubhagya” is a scheme under the Ministry of Power to ensure electrification of all willing households in the country in rural as well as urban areas.
- The scheme was launched in 2017.
- To provide energy access to all by last mile connectivity and electricity connections to all remaining un-electrified households in rural as well as urban areas to achieve universal household electrification in the country.
- Rural Electrification Corporation (REC) has been designated as nodal agency for the Saubhagya scheme.
- The electricity connection to households include release of electricity connections by drawing a service cable from the nearest pole to the household premise, installation of an energy meter, wiring for a single light point with LED bulb and a mobile charging point.
- In case the electricity pole is not available nearby from the household for drawing service cable, the erection of additional pole along with conductor and associated accessories shall also be covered under the scheme.
- The prospective beneficiary households for free electricity connections under the scheme would be identified using SECC 2011 data.
- However, un-electrified households not covered under SECC data would also be provided electricity connections under the scheme on payment of Rs. 500 which shall be recovered by DISCOMs in 10 instalments through electricity bill.
Why in News?
- Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana -“Saubhagya” has completed three years since its inception.
- As many as over 2 crore 62 lakh households have been provided electricity connection so far under the Saubhagya scheme.