- Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) is the flagship scheme of the Ministry of Skill Development & Entrepreneurship implemented by National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC). The scheme was launched in 2015.
- It is implemented under the Skill India Mission.
- The objective of this programme is to enable a large number of Indian youth to take up industry-relevant skill training that will help them in securing a better livelihood.
- Individuals with prior learning experience or skills will also be assessed and certified under Recognition of Prior Learning.
- Skill training is based on the National Skill Qualification Framework (NSQF) and industry led standards.
Objectives of PMKVY
- To impart industry-related skills to the unemployed youth and school/college dropout;
- To provide financial and placement assistance to trained candidates.
PMKVY has three key components
- Short Term Training (STT): Under this component, training is given to unemployed youths or school/college dropouts in line with the National Skills Qualification Framework.
- Recognition of Prior Learning: Under this module, assessment and certification is given to applicants with existing skills or a prior learning experience.
- Special Projects: This module has been designed to create a platform that facilitates training for special job roles in government, corporate or industrial bodies.
Why in News?
- The Beauty & Wellness Sector Skill Council (B&WSSC), working under the aegis of the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE), has trained over 1.30 lakh students as yoga instructors and trainers across the country in the last eight years.
- They have been trained through different skilling initiatives, primarily Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL), Short Term Training (STT) & Special Projects by B&WSSC.