- Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana (PMBJP) is a campaign launched by the Department of Pharmaceuticals to provide quality medicines at affordable prices to the masses.
- PMBJP stores have been set up to provide generic drugs, which are available at lesser prices but are equivalent in quality and efficacy as expensive branded drugs.
- Bureau of Pharma PSUs of India (BPPI) is the implementing agency for PMBJP.
Making quality medicines available at affordable prices for all, particularly the poor and disadvantaged, through exclusive outlets “Jan Aushadhi Kendras”, so as to reduce out of pocket expenses in healthcare.
Who can open a Jan Aushadhi Kendras ?
- State Governments or any organization / reputed NGOs / Trusts / Private hospitals / Charitable institutions / Doctors / Unemployed pharmacists/ individual entrepreneurs are eligible to apply for new Jan Aushadhi stores.
- The applicants shall have to employ one B Pharma / D Pharma degree holder as Pharmacist in their proposed store.
- They can be set up at any suitable place within Government hospital or Private hospital premises or anywhere outside the premises.
Why in News?
Union Ministry of Chemicals & Fertilizers launched 8 immunity boosting products under Pradhan Mantri Bhartiya Janaushadhi Pariyojana for sale through Janaushadhi Kendras across the country.