Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana
- The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana–Gramin (PMAY-G) was launched in 2016 to address the housing gaps existing in the rural areas. It aims to provide a pucca house with basic amenities to all rural families who are homeless or living in kutcha or dilapidated houses by 2022.
- It was initiated with the objective of achieving “Housing for All” by 2022.
- The houses built under the PMAYG scheme are low-cost and disaster-resilient.
- The minimum size of the houses built under the PMAYG scheme is 25 sq. mt.
- The Central and State governments share the cost of assistance at a ratio of 90:10 in the hilly areas and 60:40 in the plain areas.
- Identification of beneficiaries as per the housing deprivation parameters and exclusion criteria prescribed under Socio Economic Caste Census (SECC) 2011 after due verification by Gram Sabha.
- Under PMAY-G, each beneficiary is given 100% grant of Rs.1.20 lakh (in plain areas) and Rs.1.30 lakh (in Hilly States/North Eastern States/Difficult areas/UT of J&K and Ladakh/Left Wing Extremism (LWE) districts).
- The beneficiaries of PMAY-G, in addition to the unit assistance, are also provided support of unskilled labour wages under Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme (MGNREGS) and assistance of Rs. 12,000 for construction of toilets through Swachh Bharat Mission-Gramin (SBM-G), MGNREGS or any other dedicated source of funding.
- The scheme has provisions for convergence with other schemes of Government of India and State/UTs for providing LPG connection under Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Scheme, electricity connection, access to safe drinking water under Jal Jeevan Mission, etc.
Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban)
- The Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana (Urban) Programme envisions Housing for All by 2022, when the Nation completes 75 years of its Independence. It is under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs.
- It was launched in 2015 to provide central assistance to implementing agencies through States and UTs for providing houses to all eligible families/ beneficiaries.
- PMAY(U) adopts a demand driven approach wherein the Housing shortage is decided based on demand assessment by States/Union Territories.
- The Mission seeks to address the housing requirement of urban poor including slum dwellers through following programme verticals:
- Slum rehabilitation of Slum Dwellers with participation of private developers using land as a resource
- Promotion of Affordable Housing for weaker section through credit linked subsidy
- Affordable Housing in Partnership with Public & Private sectors
- Subsidy for beneficiary-led individual house construction /enhancement
- Beneficiaries include economically weaker sections (EWS), low-income groups (LIGs) and Middle Income Groups (MIGs).
- The EWS/LIG/MIG categories are defined as follows:
- EWS households with an annual income upto Rs. 3.00 lakhs.
- LIG households with an annual income between Rs. 3.00 lakhs to Rs. 6.00 lakhs.
- MIG households with an annual income between Rs. 6.00 lakhs to Rs. 18.00 lakhs.
- EWS category of beneficiaries is eligible for assistance in all four verticals of the Missions whereas LIG and MIG categories are eligible under only Credit linked subsidy scheme (CLSS) component of the Mission.
- The beneficiary family should not own a pucca house and the beneficiary family should not have availed of central assistance under any housing scheme from Government of India.
- Mission is implemented as a Centrally Sponsored Scheme (CSS) except for the component of credit linked subsidy which will be implemented as a Central Sector Scheme.
- All statutory towns as per Census 2011 and towns notified subsequently would be eligible for coverage under the Mission.
- The Mission also promotes women empowerment by providing the ownership of houses in the name of female member or in joint name.
- Preference is also given to differently abled persons, senior citizens, SCs, STs, OBCs, Minority, single women, transgender and other weaker & vulnerable sections of the society.
Why in News?
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi noted that Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana is making lives of people easier.
View all comments